Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January 5th - Dreaming

It seems like everyone here has something that they spend time
thinking about while here. Most are items that they want when they
finally get home.

Some people are looking at buying their first house, a new house, or
that long sought after piece of land in the country. Some are looking
at getting a new car. There are some people that are looking at
getting a motorcycle. Some are planning on the engagement ring they
want to buy when they finally make it home.

It seems like when you are taken away from civilization and placed in
a situation like the middle of nowhere Afghanistan, you start to think
about what you miss and inevitably end up thinking about what you
want.

I’ll admit that I have spent some time thinking about what kind of car
I want to buy when I get home, especially since I traded mine in
before I left and no longer have a car.

In some of the cases people spend a significant chunk of their free
time doing research on the internet for these things. Some read
magazines on their subjects. Some are using friends at home to look
at potential cars or property.

I think it’s good that people focus on something but I’m afraid that
too much of it will just set me up for disappointment. Could you
imagine researching cars for months and finally getting to buy the car
that you want and then suddenly something little happens and your
dream comes crashing down around your feet? Or researching a new
house, finally buying it and moving it, then when it rains for the
first time your basement floods. Think of the blow that would be to
your psyche.

Anyways, I just find it interest what helps get us through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment