Friday, October 8, 2010

October 8th, 2010 - If Heaven

It’s kind of funny how I’ve been able to find a little pleasure in this place with the strangest things.  One of these things brings me back to the happy days of my childhood.

In the chow hall, we usually have an assortment of juice, water, Gatorade, soymilk, milk, and sodas.  A few types of soda have something that I have not seen since I was just a little kid.  They do not open with the typical stay-on-tabs that you find on soda and beer cans in the United States.  They open with the old-fashioned pull-tab.

The soda with the pull-tab also is made from real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup, but that is not the reason why I like the soda here.

From the first time here that I bent the metal ring back and gently pried off the metal seal I was transported back to my childhood.  Back to a time when there were no worries, no problems, and no war.  I do not remember pull-tabs on soda cans, but I remember them with Grandpa and his beer cans.  

Some days I do not really want a soda, but I’ll drink one just to be transported back to the days of my childhood, sitting with Grandpa on the porch, 

A lot of guys my age (30’s) are drinking the soda for a similar reason.  Their memories are probably of something different but it is ultimately for the same thing, that feeling of comfort, safety, and tranquility that memories of childhood can bring with something little, like a pull-tab on a Coca-Cola.  

Finally, it’s only fitting that I share the lyrics to one of my favorite songs…it fits perfectly with this post.

If Heaven
By Andy Griggs
If heaven was an Hour, it would be twilight
When the fireflies start their dancin' on the lawn
And supper's on the stove, and mama's laughin'
And everybody’s working day is done


If heaven was a town, it would be my town
Oh - on a summer day in 1985
And everything I wanted was out there waitin'
And everyone I loved was still alive


Chorus:
Don’t cry a tear for me now, baby
There comes a time we all must say goodbye
And if that’s what heaven's made of
You know I, I ain’t afraid to die


If heaven was a pie, it would be cherry
So cool and sweet, and heavy on the tongue
And just one bite would satisfy your hunger
And there’d always be enough for everyone


If heaven was a train, it sure would be a fast one
That could take this weary traveler 'round the bend
If heaven was a tear, it'd be my last one
And you’d be in my arms again


Chorus:
Don’t cry a tear for me now, baby
There comes a time we all must say goodbye
And if that’s what heaven's made of
You know I, I ain’t afraid to die


Yea, if that’s what heaven's made of
You know I, I ain’t afraid to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment