Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day 8 - My Birthday

Happy Birthday to me! I'm 31 years old today. Today was my first birthday spent away from friends and family. I did get a ton of Facebook wall posts from people today, so that was nice. I also had lots of birthday wishes from all my fellow Soldiers. Today was actually the day we celebrated all the August and September birthdays, so it was pseudo-cake on my birthday. I only had one voicemail though, and that was my brother. I'm kind of sad that no one else tried to call me today.

Today was a pretty busy day though. Happily I managed to make it to the gym today. I've been able to do some type of a workout on most days since I've been here. Another plus is we haven't been doing group PT. Nothing really wrong with big organized group PT, but I like to just do my workout and get it done.

I didn't bring a chair with me and I'm starting to kick myself for not bringing one. A person can only sit for so long without some type of back support. The PX (Post Exchange) here isn't that great and doesn't have any in stock. Actually their refrigerator is broken now, so there is no cold drinks to buy. Thankfully I've been keeping a case of Powerade in the fridge in the barracks, so I can get something.

Today has been a random day on the old iPod. That means I've been engrossed in so many songs that I haven't heard in ages. It's been kind of fun. It's also fun when I hook the iPod up to a little speaker that I have and the barracks turns into a big sing along.

Somehow saluting has become a joke for the enlisted folks. They find it absolutely hilarious when I'm walking to chow and I get saluted 50 times on the way there. It seems like they are laughing at every salute.

This post is a little sporadic, but I'm not in the mood for a themed post, plus its my birthday and I'll do what I want to.

1 comment: