Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 15 - Down Days

Another day in the finished pile. Glad that it's moving along. Tomorrow is Labor Day, we are having a little picnic thing. It will be nice to get out of the immediate cantonment area (the area where we are kept). Tomorrow is also the team pictures, so that will be neat.

Today was a pretty light day, which was nice. The last few days have been pretty busy and a "down" day is a nice change of pace. That's the what I'll have the next year just some down days...there really isn't a day off once the missions start.

We are doing a bit of training in the morning, I'll try to get some pictures during it to post. I think the site looks a lot better with some pictures in the post. What's funny was when I posted the pictures of the barracks that was the first time that my wife saw where I was staying. I've been coming to this post for over 10 years and she has never seen what it's like.

In a few days I have my pass. It's only for a couple days but I can't wait. My wife and I are talking about what we are going to do during that time, well, it's more her asking what I want to do. I don't really want to make some big plans for the time. I think that just letting everything flow and hanging out matters more to me. I'm going to spend the foreseeable future on a schedule that's nonnegotiable so having "open" time will be nice.

Oh, I totally forgot to mention something that's crazy....

On this post is a correctional facility. It's a minimum security deal where they send non-violent (supposedly) offenders about a year before release. This prison is literally 50' away from our barracks. We walk past their recreation yard on the way to chow. It's kind of crazy, we are separated by a fence and are carrying knives, pistols, and automatic weapons. Oh, and they have nothing but a chain link fence.

The prisoners/inmates/cons/whatever work all over the post doing different jobs. They mow the lawns, works as janitors, or in the various departments as manual labor. It probably saves the state a fortune, but it's still strange to be intermingled with them when you are in some of the buildings.

They don't really say anything to us and we don't generally talk to them.

On to Sam, my smallpox vaccine site. Sam is starting to scab up and is beginning to itch again. This is probably a good thing since the site is starting to heal. I can't wait for this whole vaccine thing to be over. It's unbelievable the amount of care that this vaccine requires. I'm kind of curious about how big the scar will end up.

Ok, time to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment