Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 27 - Traveling

Today has been exhausting and draining. The day started out at 0200 (2:00am) when we had to get up and get on the bus by 0230. Then it was off to the Indianapolis airport.

At Indy we thought that things were going ok and then we got to Atlanta. I'm at Atlanta right now and it's been nothing but frustrating. I'm not exaggerating an ounce when I say that I spent over 6 hours standing in one location waiting to check myself and my baggage onto a flight.

Finally after all that frustration I was able to get everything checked and eat something. I'm not sure whether we'll get food on our next flight so I ate more than I normally would.

I have an hour or so to attempt some relaxation before I have to go get ready for my next flight and then the torture starts.

I'm really dreading a long flight over the Atlantic. Last time I flew transcontinental I was able to upgrade, but this time I'm not able to be that lucky. Hopefully going on such a small amount of sleep, I'll be able to crash on the plane and sleep most of the trip.

On to something a little more positive...

The people that we've encountered have been nothing but supportive. I've had people applaud our group. I've had men and women of all ages come up to us and shake our hands and thank us for our service.

I've had mothers break down in tears.

I've had people ask for us have their picture taken with them.

While this traveling has been exhausting, it's nice to know that some people appreciate the sacrifice so many men and women are making.

No comments:

Post a Comment