Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 19 - More Packing and a Pass

I'm writing this the day after day 19, but who is really keeping track besides me?  I'm sitting at home right now, drinking coffee with no one around except my little doggy.  It's kind of strange being by yourself after spending most of the summer surrounded by people every day.  I keep pacing around in between sips of my coffee trying to think of ways to meet people for breakfast or lunch.  It's like the thought of actually eating a meal without someone with me is the most absurd thought in the world.

It was nice yesterday to have my wife pick me up.  We at lunch at Chilis then came home and hung out.  Then we watched a movie and had dinner at Jimmy John's.  I can't wait for the weekend, she is working today though.

Ok, back to the actual Day 19...  I spent most of the morning packing again.  You wouldn't believe how hard it is to pack for a year.  I've been trying to think of a good way to relate the packing experience to people and I think that I've came up with a decent analogy.  It's like packing for your freshman year of college.  This example works perfect because it's packing for an extended time away like I am, plus you are going someplace for the first time and you aren't exactly sure what to expect.

It's like packing for college except you have weight limits.
Yes, what I bring all has a weight limit.  Everything is calculated for our movement over there, including the weight of the passengers.  Sadly, I'm not kidding.  If you are a big guy like me, you technically are allowed less weight for your belongings, but thankfully they do the average across every Soldier, so the weights start to balance themselves. 

It's like packing for college except some of your stuff will get there late
When I fly out I'm bringing a lot of stuff with me and a lot of stuff will get to me later.  I'm going ahead of the main body to help prepare for their arrival.  That means that I may fly commercial part of the way...that also means that I can't bring my rifle, pistol, and knives (I carry 2-3 at all times) with me on the plane, so I have to check them as bags.  That means I'm bringing a weapons case, a ruck sack, an assault pack, a laptop bag, and a duffel bag (called an "A" bag).  Yes, that is a lot of stuff, and no, I don't know if I can actually carry all of that at once.  The ruck sack holds my body armor and helmet, plus magazines (for bullets), plus hygiene stuff, plus wet weather gear and it weighs in at about 67 pounds.  My weapons case with rifle, pistol, night vision goggles, magazines, and optics will weigh about 30.  My assault pack will weigh about 30.  My "A" bag will weigh about 45.  And my laptop case will weigh about 15.  So, if I add all of that right that is 187 pounds all together.  Now, can I actually carry all of that stuff?  Beats the heck out of me...  I could put my ruck sack on my back.  My duffel bag on my front.  My weapons case and laptop bag in my left hand and my assault pack in my right hand.  I should be able to do the movement, although it will basically be like carrying another human being.

A bunch more stuff will be moved to me via Air Force cargo planes.  That stuff will arrive sometime in October.  I'm also mailing a container of stuff to me before my pass is over with.

It's like packing for college except everything is green 
I guess this would be true if your school colors were green and you were a superfan, but in my case most everything that the Army issues you is greenish.

It's like packing for college except you have body armor
While there are some schools that it would probably behoove you to have a bullet proof vest, I doubt a lot of people would be bringing them along.  In our case, a good percentage of our gear is for our protection.  From our Kevlar helmet to our IOTV (Improved Outer Tactical Vest), to our ESAPI Plates (ceramic plates designed to stop bullets) to our first aid kit (with tourniquet, pressure dressings, and clotting agent).

It's like packing for college except you have little choice in what to bring
Hey, it's the Army. 

No comments:

Post a Comment