Monday, September 20, 2010

Sept 19th 2010 - Kuwait is hot

I’ve begun to lose track of what day is what, and I’m sure that my date count is off.  I’m either going to have to reset my clock or just go off of the old fashioned date for my main titles.  After all of this traveling everything is starting to get a little blurred.  

Today was a long long day.  I woke up at 7 or 8 am local time and went to my first roll call.  Basically while we are in Kuwait we are waiting for a military flight into Bagram.  We had a roll call at 9am, 10:30 am, and 5:00 pm.  At the 5:00 pm one we were notified that we had to report back at 6:00 pm with all of our gear for a flight out at 9:00 pm.  We proceeded to have a mad dash to get everything packed and moved to the staging area.  At the staging area we had all of our baggage loaded onto pallets for transportation.
We were then “locked down” in a certain area for our flight.  At 7:30pm we were supposed to have a final roll call and then load up onto the bus for transportation to the flight line.  The 7:30pm time came and passed and eventually at 11:00pm we were notified that our flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems.  While something like this isn’t that uncommon it sucked for us since our gear was already palletized up.

We had to dig through over 100 other people’s gear to find all of ours and then move our stuff back to our tent.  We moved everything back and then decided that we wanted to eat since we didn’t get a real meal since we were locked down waiting for the flight.

They serve midnight chow here so we grabbed a sandwich then came back and showered.  The shower felt absolutely wonderful.  Now I’m back in the tent, it’s 1:37am and we have to be at roll call at 10:00am to start it all over again in the morning.  

The Colts are playing in another hour and twenty minutes, and it’s darn tempting to just stay up and watch them, but I better not, I have to adjust to the time difference.

Today was pretty steamy at around 109 degrees.  The power went out of our tent for a few hours today and that meant no A/C.  Thankfully I managed to get a seat at the MWR (Military Welfare and Recreation) tent and sit in the A/C.  

There’s a lot of sand here.  I guess that goes with being in the desert and everything.  It’s the finest sand that I’ve ever seen; it feels almost like talcum powder.  It’s always hanging in the air like a fog.  It creates a haze around the sun.  Definitely a unique experience.

Alright, time to get some sleep.

1 comment: